Date
22 November 2017

Shanghai govt sued over private museum demolition, Xinhua says

A Shanghai district government has been sued for alleged theft and illegal demolition of a private museum, Xinhua news agency reported Thursday. In a trial at the Changning District People’s Court, Liu Guangjia asked the city’s Minhang district government to pay 289 million yuan (US$47.3 million) in compensation, the highest for a lawsuit a Chinese citizen has brought against a local government, Xinhua said. Liu said the government, with a local property company, had forcefully and unlawfully demolished his house and a museum-style garden in Anle village on April 27, 2012. He also accused officials of taking away his collection, which consisted of bonsai trees and exotic rocks. But the lawyer representing the government said the theft could never have occurred as the demolition process was overseen by the district court and witnessed by workers from several participating companies and a crowd of local residents. The demolition followed legal procedures, including the issuance of eviction notices, which the lawyer said had been repeatedly ignored by Liu. No verdict was announced on Thursday, the report said.

– Contact HKEJ at [email protected]

CG

 

EJI Weekly Newsletter

Please click here to unsubscribe