Date
20 September 2017

Canada faces lawsuit over scrapped of visa scheme, SCMP says

A group of wealthy mainlanders is threatening to sue the Canadian government if its decision to scrap an investor visa scheme is not reversed, the South China Morning Post reported Wednesday. More than 10 people who had applied for the visa met with reporters in Beijing Tuesday to air their grievances. They said they had wasted years, effort and money preparing to move to the country. Last month, Canadian Finance Minister Jim Flaherty announced that the government was scrapping the immigrant investor program which had allowed nearly 100,000 wealthy Hongkongers and mainland Chinese to enter the country since 1986. An estimated 45,500 Chinese millionaires will have their applications canceled and their fees returned, the report said.

– Contact HKEJ at [email protected]

RA

EJI Weekly Newsletter

Please click here to unsubscribe