The family of a mainland woman electrocuted while taking a call on her iPhone are still waiting for answers from Apple 10 months after her death, China Daily reported Thursday.
Ma Ailun, a 23-year-old newlywed flight attendant, died last year when she picked up her phone while it was plugged into an electrical outlet, the report said. It is not certain whether the death was linked to the smartphone.
Ma’s husband, An Tao, a farmer from Changji in Xinjiang, said he had made repeated but unsuccessful attempts to contact company employees for an explanation, including travelling to Beijing last week.
“I don’t know who has been in charge of the case up to now. Instead, I was just asked to meet with their hired lawyers,” An was quoted as saying.
An’s father-in-law filed a lawsuit against Apple in a Xinjiang court before the Lunar New Year but An said at that time he wanted to negotiate a resolution because of the time and costs involved, the report said.
But now he wants to sue the company with his father-in-law, “since the corporation’s attitude made me struggle”.
A lawyer for Apple was quoted as saying that she would not answer any questions because the information was privileged.
– Contact HKEJ at [email protected]