A senior official of MTR Corp. (00066.HK) who has taken the brunt of public anger over delays in Hong Kong’s high-speed cross-border rail project, left a lot of unanswered questions after he resigned from the rail operator Monday.
Projects director Chew Tai-chong managed a smile but hardly a word about his decision to quit his four-year-old job, just weeks after blaming the cross-border rail fiasco on bad weather, Ming Pao Daily reported Tuesday.
Chew said he is ready to face questions from legislators. He was due to retire on Oct. 28.
On April 15, Chew told a media briefing that the HK$67 billion (US$8.64 billion) railway that will link Hong Kong and Guangzhou would be delayed by a year after a March 30 rainstorm damaged a tunnel boring machine and problems were found in the West Kowloon terminus construction site.
The project had been scheduled for completion in 2015. The delay pushed back its commercial operation to at least 2017.
Ng Leung-sing, an independent non-executive director of MTR, was quoted as saying Chew’s resignation will not affect the project.
– Contact HKEJ at [email protected]