The mainland authorities are targeting viral video content after a 21-second pornographic clip with a June 4 Tiananmen Square message was widely downloaded last week before being deleted from sites.
Southern Metropolis Daily reported Sunday that the Office of the National Work Group for Combating Pornography and Illegal Publications said it has been keeping an eye on widely distributed clips, and will punish those who create and disperse them.
Ming Pao Daily reported Monday that the clip contains footage of what appears to be mainland movie star Li Xiaolu and three still pictures calling on viewers to “return to Tiananmen” at 10 a.m. on June 4 in memory of Beijing’s bloody crackdown on pro-democracy protesters in 1989. Another nine-minute clip contains a June 4 message from the Hong Kong Federation of Students spliced into the indecent footage. Li said through her microblog that she was not the person in the clips and reserves the right to take legal action.
Wen Yunchao, a democracy activist now living overseas, said he inserted the messages into the clips and is willing to take responsibility for the action. He said the clips were downloaded more than 50,000 times from his computer and he will remove it if the source of the material asked. He did not say who the source is.
– Contact us at [email protected]