General Motors is recalling another 2.6 million vehicles globally, taking the number of vehicles it has pulled so far this year to more than 15 million, as the US automaker grapples with safety issues.
Four separate actions Tuesday raise the number of US recalls this year to 20 for the Detroit-based auto giant, Reuters reported. The total number of recalled vehicles this year is more than the figure of the previous five years combined, it said.
The latest actions cover possible faulty seat belts, transmissions, air bags and fire issues, and mostly affected vehicles sold in the United States.
GM said there have been no fatalities associated with the latest recalls. The actions affect the Buick Enclave, Chevrolet Traverse, GMC Acadia and Saturn Outlook full-size crossover vehicles; older-generation Chevy Malibu and Pontiac G6 mid-sized sedans; and newer versions of the Cadillac Escalade SUV and heavy-duty Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra full-size pickup trucks.
Due to the recalls, GM is doubling the charge it expects to take in the second quarter to about US$400 million. In the first quarter, the company took a charge of US$1.3 billion, mostly related to the ignition switch recall, Reuters noted.
Last week, GM announced five recalls covering almost 3 million vehicles globally and said it would take a second-quarter charge of about US$200 million.
GM is under investigation by US authorities for its handling of a faulty ignition switch, which engineers first discovered in 2001, Reuters said, noting that the company has been criticized for failing to detect the faulty part and for not recalling the vehicles before this year.
The automaker aims to complete an internal probe of its handling of the issue within the next two weeks, according to the report.
– Contact us at [email protected]