Date
24 September 2017
Legco complex will be partially closed to the public Friday. Photo: Legco
Legco complex will be partially closed to the public Friday. Photo: Legco

Legco building to step up security after clashes

The Legislative Council complex will be partially closed to the public Friday after protesters against a controversial new-town project in the northeastern New Territories stormed the building last week.

Legco president Jasper Tsang Yok-sing said Tuesday that the complex is no place for such demonstrations. 

Tsang said some of the protesters gained access by pretending to be part of guided tours so all building tours, except those for schools, will be suspended when the Finance Committee resumes discussion Friday on funding for the project.

The public will be denied access to the Legco library and seating will be halved to 20 in the public gallery. Even lawmakers’ assistants will not be allowed onto the floors of the session rooms.

In response to criticism that secretariat staff should have called police for help earlier, Tsang said they handled the incident properly.

Tsang said the protesters did not cause much disturbance at the start and the secretariat decided to call the police at about 8 p.m. after the number of demonstrators reached the safe limit of about 400 and some became violent, throwing steel barricades.

– Contact us at [email protected]

JH/JP/SK

EJ Insight reporter

EJI Weekly Newsletter

Please click here to unsubscribe