Hong Kong’s commuter rail operator MTR Corporation said Thursday that both the South Island line and the Kwun Tong extension line will face a delay of six months, RTHK reported.
The company’s chief executive Jay Walder admitted that both the rail projects will fall behind schedule, with only 60 percent of the work completed so far, the report said.
The new line linking Southern District to the MTR network for the first time is due to open in December 2015 while the Kwun Tong extension was slated to open in August next year. But the work at Admiralty station and Whampoa Station had “lagged behind considerably”, Walder said.
It’s the latest in a series of construction problems to hit the company, following a controversial two-year delay in finishing the Hong Kong-Guangzhou high-speed railway link.
The Transport and Housing Bureau noted that both lines are large-scale underground infrastructure projects, and that it understands that there are various challenges and difficulties at different stages.
“We would watch closely the projects progress. And the Highways Department will continue to conduct on-site inspection and hold meetings to get the latest information,” the bureau said.
– Contact us at [email protected]