Date
26 September 2017
Police try to stop protesters from entering the Legco building and make their course of action clear. Photo: HKEJ
Police try to stop protesters from entering the Legco building and make their course of action clear. Photo: HKEJ

NT plan opponents vow to press on with protests

Opponents of a proposed development plan for the New Territories are threatening more protests if the government does not shelve the proposal, Ming Pao Daily reported Monday.

They want it withdrawn from a budget meeting scheduled for Friday.

Last week, scuffles broke out between security guards and protesters during a sit-in in the Legco building, prompting the police to step in.

On Sunday, Secretary for Security Lai Tung-kwok warned that the police will act swiftly if violence happens again.

The government blamed the incident on six concern groups that took part in the sit-in.

In a press conference, they said the protest was not a concerted action and was triggered by a decision by finance committee chairman to Ng Leung-sing to abruptly end a meeting on the proposal.

Meanwhile, Chow Chun-yu, an assistant to legislator Fernando Cheung, accused the officers of manhandling them as they were led away to a police station.

Chow said the officers changed their attitude to him after they found out he is a social worker.

More than 190 people were forcibly removed from the Legco building during the operation.

Secretary for Development Paul Chan said the government will not withdraw the plan, citing support from villagers.

He said a large number of Friday’s protesters are not residents of the area, the report said.

– Contact us at [email protected]

EL/AC/RA

EJI Weekly Newsletter

Please click here to unsubscribe