Macau will limit the number of days mainlanders can stay on stopovers, the Hong Kong Economic Journal reported Tuesday.
Starting July, Chinese passport holders will be restricted to a stay of five days, down from seven previously.
Immigration authorities are cracking down on abuse of the present system meant to ease cross-border travel, the report said, citing an official statement.
Offenders face further restrictions such as a cut in their stay to one day from two within 60 days of their last departure, the report said.
The move is not expected to affect the gaming industry given that visitors don’t spend that much time in casinos, analysts were quoted as saying.
Last year, about 80 percent of 2.63 million visitors with Chinese passports were on short visit, not stopover.
– Contact us at [email protected]