Date
20 September 2017
Groups planning to protest against a New Territories development insist that their activities will be peaceful. Photo: Now TV
Groups planning to protest against a New Territories development insist that their activities will be peaceful. Photo: Now TV

Protesters promise peaceful opposition to NT plan

A clutch of groups opposed to a controversial development in the northeast New Territories has pledged to pursue a non-violent protest outside the Legislative Council Friday even if action is taken against the demonstration.

The commitment comes amid accusations from the editor-in-chief of a youth magazine that protesters who led a charge into the Legco building earlier this month were police plants.

Protesters stormed barricades and staged a sit-in on the building’s ground floor as the Finance Committee discussed a funding request for the project.

Eight groups, including the Hong Kong Federation of Students and the Land Justice League, have urged their members to stay calm during the Friday protest even if they are confronted, Metro Daily reported Thursday.

Cho Kai-kai, from the League of Fanling North Villages and Residents, said the eight groups agreed that nobody will be hurt and the building would not be damaged during the demonstration, the report said.

Cho said they will not encourage or judge anyone for taking action. “If citizens are violent, it’s because of the brutal suppression of the regime,” she said.

The groups will set up booths in various parts of the city to explain their opposition to the project and People Power will attempt to mount a filibuster over the plan.

Legco has beefed up security ahead of the protest, bringing in more steel barricades and banning visitors from entering the building, the report said. Firefighters have also checked equipment and exits to ensure access for ambulance services.

At the same time, Wong Ching, editor in chief of the youth literature magazine Fleurs des letters, told Commercial Radio Wednesday that several protesters she suspected of being police initiated the Legco break-in and then took three prominent members of the demonstration away as security personnel tried to clear the building. Wong claimed she saw the suspected police officers having meetings with other police.

– Contact us at [email protected]

AM/JP/SK

EJI Weekly Newsletter

Please click here to unsubscribe