A suspect in the deadly attack in northwestern China this month said he had been recruited to participate in a “holy war”.
Muer Zhati, told China Central Television he had joined two other assailants in Xinjiang, a restive autonomous region rocked by frequent violent assaults by Muslim Uyghurs, the Financial Times reported Sunday.
But Zhati’s confession, broadcast nationally, had come too late and severe punishment awaits him, the report said.
It is extremely rare for Chinese authorities to broadcast confessions by assailants or release security footage of any such attacks.
Suspects captured alive during such incidents are typically tried months later, with verdicts and sentences recorded in terse Xinhua reports that often omit the names of those convicted.
In the latest incident on Saturday, the official Xinhua news agency reported that police killed 13 people who attacked their outpost in Kargilik county on the border with Afghanistan and Pakistan.
Such assaults on police stations and other government buildings have been a regular feature of the long-running insurgency in Xinjiang, which claimed more than 100 lives last year, the report said.
Attackers have also started to target civilians beyond Xinjiang’s borders.
– Contact us at [email protected]