Date
11 December 2017
Foxconn is expected to produce 70 percent of the iPhone 6 units. Photo: AFP
Foxconn is expected to produce 70 percent of the iPhone 6 units. Photo: AFP

China jobs boom: Foxconn hiring 100,000 workers for iPhone 6

Electronics contract manufacturer Foxconn is hiring 100,000 workers to ramp up production of Apple’s iPhone 6 next month in what could be the biggest job creation boom in mainland China in recent memory, International Business Times reported.

Foxconn is expected to produce about 70 percent of the latest Apple smartphone models, while Pegatron, another Taiwanese contract manufacturer, will be taking care of the remaining 30 percent, the report said.

Apple will release two iPhone 6 models, a 4.7-inch smartphone and a 5.5-inch device, according to reports. Release date is on Sept. 19, International Business Times said, citing recent remarks by a German mobile network operator.

The latest Apple models are likely to feature wireless charging, near field communication and a companion smartwatch. Rumors also have it that the phones will have weather sensors, a solar-powered screen and mechanical shutters, the report said.

– Contact us at [email protected]

CG

EJI Weekly Newsletter

Please click here to unsubscribe