A Hong Kong cosmetic clinic is being investigated for potential malpractice after a woman died while undergoing liposuction.
Li Ka-ying, a 32-year-old dance instructor, died of suspected anesthetic overdose after slipping into a coma, Ming Pao Daily reported Friday.
She had checked into the Regrowth Hair Transplant Centre in Tsim Sha Tsui district to have fat removed from her abdomen and back.
However, during the procedure, she fell into a coma after receiving 2,400 milligrams of the anesthetic licodine from the doctor, five times the amount that should have been given to her based on her body weight of 300 pounds, the report said. It identified the doctor as Kwan Hau-chi.
The suggested amount for normal adults is 200 mg. and for most in Li’s case, it is 400 mg., the report said, citing an anesthetist.
Li might have died from allergy to anesthetic or from pulmonary embolism, the blockage of the main artery of the lung by a foreign substance, according to medical experts.
The police are investigating the cosmetic clinic but no arrests have been made.
The death is the latest in a series of tragedies involving medical procedures at private clinics in Hong Kong.
In 2012, a woman died and three others suffered serious injuries after blood-transfusion therapy at a beauty clinic.
The incident prompted calls for tighter oversight of beauty salons and private clinics.
– Contact us at [email protected]