China has stepped up its campaign against “violent terror gangs” in Xinjiang, arresting more than 400 people linked to a series of bloody attacks blamed on Muslim Uyghur separatists, Reuters said, citing state media reports.
The crackdown, which began in May, has so far neutralized at least 40 such groups in the restive northwestern region, the report said.
“Among those cases, public security bureaus received clues from the public in 10 cases, leading to arrests of more than 100 people, the confiscation of a batch of explosive devices, raw materials and tools,” the Communist Party-run Legal Daily was quoted as saying.
Religious extremist multimedia propaganda materials were also confiscated, according to the newspaper.
On May 23, authorities launched a one-year campaign against suspected Uyghur separatists, following a suicide bombing that killed 39 people at a market in Urumqi, the provincial capital.
In March, 29 people were stabbed to death at a train station in the southwestern city of Kunming.
Some 200 people have died in violent incidents in Xinjiang in the past year or so, including 13 people killed during an attack on a police station in June, the report said, citing government figures.
– Contact us at [email protected]