Date
20 November 2017
McDonald's Hong Kong has procured some meat from a Shanghai firm that is under investigation in China for supplying stale food. Photo: RTHK, internet
McDonald's Hong Kong has procured some meat from a Shanghai firm that is under investigation in China for supplying stale food. Photo: RTHK, internet

McDonald’s HK admits to dealings with Shanghai Husi Food

McDonald’s Hong Kong has admitted that some of its meat products came from Shanghai Husi Food, the company that was shut down recently by mainland authorities for supplying expired or rotten meat to foreign fast-food chains, Ming Pao Daily reported Friday.

The fast-food store suspended sales of chicken nuggets, McSpicy chicken fillets, fresh corn cup, iced fresh lemon tea and green salad and chicken salad last night, it was quoted as saying in a statement.

McDonald’s Hong Kong had earlier denied that its meat products came from Husi.

The company apologized to customers Thursday for the “confusion” and said it “will keep on taking a proactive approach to follow up” with government authorities with regard to the meat imports.

Hong Kong’s Food and Environmental Hygiene Department confirmed on Thursday that McDonald’s local arm imported chicken and pork from Husi Shanghai, RTHK reported. 

Lee Siu-yuen, the department’s assistant director, was quoted as saying that McDonald’s Hong Kong had in May and June imported cooked chicken legs from Husi Food’s Shanghai plant.

Also, the fast-food chain is said to have imported 10 batches of frozen pork products from the troubled Shanghai plant during the period July 2013 to February 2014. All of the chicken and pork has already been sold to customers.

The department has inspected several samples of the stock held by McDonald’s Hong Kong. Officials haven’t found any food that is rotten or smelly, Lee was quoted as saying.

The department has contacted other fast food-brands, including KFC, Burger King, Pizza Hut and Yoshinoya, that may have had dealings with the Husi Shanghai plant. One group is yet to reply while all the others said they did not import any food from the plant, the report said.

Following the food scandal in China, the Hong Kong government has suspended all imports of food products from Husi. Any food already imported will be stored in warehouses and suspended from sale until a final investigation result is announced by mainland authorities.

– Contact us at [email protected]

JZ/JP/RC

Freelance journalist

EJI Weekly Newsletter

Please click here to unsubscribe