McDonald’s Hong Kong is apologizing for its handling of public information in a food scare involving expired meat, Apple Daily reported Monday.
Managing director Randy Lai Wai-sze said improvements are needed in the way the company responds to public concerns and communicates with its employees.
The apology came as the fast food giant continued to fend off allegations it imported meat from Shanghai Husi Food, an American-owned company at the center of a food scandal over the sale of stale meat products to top foreign restaurants in Shanghai, including McDonald’s and KFC.
Lai said McDonald’s Hong Kong did not procure meat from Shanghai Husi and that it has kept strict standards in its supply chain.
Flanked by other senior executives, Lai read a written statement at a press conference and left after four minutes, leaving behind many unanswered questions from the media, the report said.
The Food and Environmental Hygiene Department said the company has imported at least 380 metric tons from the Shanghai Husi the past year, according to the report.
Lai said the company had stopped using meat products from Husi since Thursday last week when the Shanghai scare broke out. It said it will use fresh lettuce and onions imported from the United States and Taiwan.
On Sunday, the company said 10 types of meat imported from Husi’s Hebei and Guangzhou factories will be sealed in storage. The 110 metric ton shipment will be destroyed, according to the Hong Kong government. About 60 metric tons have been dealt with.
Meanwhile, United States-based OSI Group, which owns Husi Food, said a new management team will take over its Chinese business. An internal investigation is under way.
It said it will recall all products made by the Shanghai plant, according to the report.
– Contact us at [email protected]