The growing use of a pure powder form of caffeine sold as a dietary supplement is getting a second look due to some deadly consequences in the United States.
This summer, Dennis and Kate Stiner thought they would be getting their son, Logan, ready for college. Instead, they are mourning his death.
Logan, a straight-A student, wrestler and prom king died suddenly three days before graduation, 7News Boston WHDH-TV reported. Later, a plastic bag with a white powder was found in his house. It contained pure, concentrated caffeine.
An autopsy found Logan had 23 times as much caffeine in his system as a typical coffee or cola drinker, enough to kill him.
Pure caffeine is sold as a dietary supplement to boost alertness and athletic performance. A teaspoon is equivalent to 25 cups of coffee. Effects can include irregular heartbeat, muscle spasms and kidney failure.
Dozens of websites sell it for as little as US$12 for 100 grams.
There is also growing scrutiny of caffeinated energy drinks with their annual sales topping US$10 billion.
“Caffeine overdose. We need to educate our parents. And children need to be educated,” said Dennis Stiner.
– Contact us at [email protected]