Israel and the Palestinians agreed on Sunday to a new three-day ceasefire in Gaza after some intense diplomacy and mediation by Egypt.
“Israel has accepted Egypt’s proposal,” Reuters quoted a senior Israeli government official as saying. Israeli negotiators will return to Cairo on Monday to resume indirect talks with the Palestinians if the truce holds, he said.
Egypt brokered a similar truce last week, but fighting resumed as soon as a three-day window ended.
In a statement, Egypt’s Foreign Ministry urged “both sides to exploit this truce to resume indirect negotiations immediately and work towards a comprehensive and lasting ceasefire agreement”.
Earlier, Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said his country “will not negotiate under fire” and warned of a protracted military campaign in the Gaza Strip if rocket salvoes continued.
About 2,000 people have died in the conflict, which began on 8 July when Israel launched an operation to deter militant attacks from Gaza, BBC noted.
– Contact us at [email protected]