Discarded fluorescent sticks are a health hazard because they contain toxic chemicals that cannot be easily reused or recycled, Sing Tao Daily reported Monday.
Half of these toys, typically used during festivals, were dumped in Hong Kong last year, the report said, citing a survey by environmental group Green Power.
A quarter of Hong Kong families bought the glowing rods for various occasions last year, with each family getting an average of 50. The number is expected to rise.
A senior manager in Green Power said material from discarded flourescent sticks are not easily biodegradable which means their toxic content stays for a long time.
Michael Lam, a professor of biology and chemistry in the City University of Hong Kong, said fluorescent sticks contain pigments that could cause cancer.
He said people who get in contact with any liquid material from a flourescent stick should immediately wash their hands.
– Contact us at [email protected]