A resident of an outlying Hong Kong island has lost an appeal to stop the government from building an HK$18 billion (US$2.32 billion) incinerator but is not giving up the fight, government broadcaster RTHK reported Tuesday.
Cheung Chau resident Leung Hon-wai unsuccessfully challenged the project at the Court of First Instance last year and decided to bring the case to the Court of Appeal.
Leung’s lawyers said the project’s environmental impact assessment report was flawed and that mitigation measures to protect an important marine habitat for finless porpoises did not meet the statutory requirements.
On Tuesday, the Court of Appeal dismissed the case by a majority decision. The court also ordered Leung to pay costs.
Leung vowed to take the fight to the Court of Final Appeal, according to RTHK.
“The ruling is unreasonable and I’m ready for further appeal,” he was quoted as saying.
Leung said the location of the planned incinerator on Shek Kwu Chau is too close to Cheung Chau, adding that the project is tantamount to a “slow murder” of its residents.
He said the government had not done enough to mitigate potential respiratory problems from the giant burner.
If the government goes ahead with the project, Leung said he would invite Chief Executive Leung Chung-yin and Secretary for the Environment Wong Kam-sing to move to Cheung Chau to see for themselves what it’s like to live in its shadow.
Legco drama as woman expat tries to jump into chamber
Legco drama Act 2: Kneeler-leaders get their 15 minutes
– Contact us at [email protected]