Date
18 December 2017
Islamic State militant group released a video Tuesday purporting to show the beheading of Steven Sotloff, in the second such atrocity on a US journalist in two weeks. Photo: Reuters
Islamic State militant group released a video Tuesday purporting to show the beheading of Steven Sotloff, in the second such atrocity on a US journalist in two weeks. Photo: Reuters

Islamic State video shows beheading of another US journalist

The Islamic State released a video on Tuesday purporting to show the beheading of a second captured American journalist, Steven Sotloff, and threatening to kill a British hostage, Reuters reported.

In the video, a masked militant is seen standing behind a man kneeling in the desert and dressed in an orange jumpsuit, similar to the one worn by fellow US journalist James Foley before he was beheaded two weeks ago. 

The captive identified himself as Sotloff, a 31-year-old freelance journalist from Florida who was kidnapped in Syria in August last year, and said he was “paying the price” for US intervention in Iraq. 

The camera pulls back to show the militant standing behind him, holding a knife.

“I’m back, Obama,” the militant says in English. “Just as your missiles continue to strike our people, our knife will continue to strike the necks of your people.”

The masked figure also issued a threat against a British hostage, a man the group named as David Haines, and warned governments to back off “this evil alliance of America against the Islamic State”.

The militant is then shown apparently cutting the throat of the captive, whose head is later displayed, lying on the body.

The executioner appeared to be the same British-accented man who appeared in an Aug. 19 video showing the killing of James Foley, Reuters noted. 

A statement released by Sotloff’s family through a spokesman indicated the family considered the video to be authentic, the report said.

– Contact us at [email protected]

RC

EJI Weekly Newsletter

Please click here to unsubscribe