A single mother who claimed her six-month-old baby had been abducted has been sentenced to five-year imprisonment for covering up the truth and disposing of the infant’s body, RTHK reported Friday.
Ng Tian-yan, 33, staged a fake abduction and wasted government resources in the search for the baby, a Hong Kong judge said. The incident cost taxpayers HK$1.8 million (HK$232,200).
“A grieving mother won’t wrap up the body of her baby and throw it into a rubbish bin then continue to write a feeding record,” the judge said.
“Normal people won’t treat their pets like that. I’m so shocked.”
In November last year, Ng searched “baby with no breath” on the internet after a fight with her boyfriend and reported to the police that her child was dead.
“All this is no coincidence but we may never know the truth. That is only known to the mother,” the judge said.
Ng’s lawyer said she was under stress during pregnancy after she found that the child’s father had not divorced his wife.
She apologized for her actions and for misleading the investigation.
Ng reported the baby missing outside Carpenter Road Park in Kowloon City on Nov. 13, 2013 but later said she had found the infant dead several days earlier.
– Contact us at [email protected]