Searchers in Guinea have found several bodies while looking for missing doctors and journalists in the Ebola-stricken West African coutry.
Officials said the find included the bodies of the three missing journalists, according to BBC News.
The group disappeared after being attacked by villagers near the southern city of Nzerekore on Tuesday.
Guinea is in the grip of the worst outbreak of the deadly disease which has killed 2,600 people and could ultimately infect 20,000, according to health officials.
Ebola is mostly confined to West Africa but the United Nations has declared it a threat to international peace and security.
On Thursday, the UN Security Council unanimously adopted a resolution calling on states to provide more resources to combat the outbreak.
One of the journalists who managed to escape told reporters she could hear the villagers looking for them while she was hiding.
A government delegation had been dispatched to the region but they were unable to reach the village by road because a main bridge had been blocked.
On Thursday night, government spokesman Albert Damantang Camara said eight bodies had been found, including those of three journalists.
He said they had been recovered from the septic tank of a primary school in the village, adding that the victims had been killed in cold blood by the villagers.
The reason for the killings is unclear, but reports said many people in the region distrust health officials and have refused to co-operate with authorities, fearing a diagnosis means certain death.
– Contact us at [email protected]