The Hong Kong government has canceled the fireworks show in Victoria Harbor to mark National Day on Wednesday in view of the ongoing civil disobedience campaign, TVB reported.
“Considering the current status quo, main roads to various hotspots for watching the fireworks display may be seriously and continuously affected,” the government said in a statement.
“Therefore, the National Day holiday fireworks display on October 1 will be canceled for the sake of public transport arrangement and citizens’ safety,” the statement said.
The Occupy Central civil disobedience campaign has swiftly spread to clog main road arteries on Hong Kong island and in Kowloon.
Tens of thousands of people occupied Central and Admiralty districts after protest leaders kicked off the campaign early Sunday, and protesters have remained on the streets as of Monday afternoon after riot police had withdrawn.
According to the original plan, the October 1 fireworks display under the theme “Love China” would last 23 minutes at a cost of HK$6 million.
The fireworks would involve 65 shots to mark the 65 years of the People’s Republic.
This would have been the first time the event was to be held after it was canceled last year in the aftermath of a ferry collision that killed 38 holiday revelers in 2012.
Apart from the fireworks display, the second round of public consultation on electoral reform will also be postponed.
Chief Secretary Carrie Lam said on Monday the Hong Kong government still wants to implement universal suffrage in Hong Kong but will wait until the atmosphere calms down.
[Go to Facebook]
– Contact us at [email protected]