Date
21 August 2017
Retail shops in Nathan Road have reopened in the first sign of normalcy in an area that saw violent clashes on Friday. Photo: RTHK
Retail shops in Nathan Road have reopened in the first sign of normalcy in an area that saw violent clashes on Friday. Photo: RTHK

Mong Kok area appears peaceful as protest continues

About 200 protesters continue to occupy a major artery in Hong Kong’s Mong Kok district with a few policemen in sight, public broadcaster RTHK reported Monday.

Argyle Street and Nathan Road, the scene of violent clashes between protesters and pro-establishment groups on Friday, are generally peaceful, the report said.

An advertising employee, surnamed Fong, said he had been in the area for the fifth day in a row. He and a friend went to Mong Kok to help keep the numbers up after hearing some people had started to leave last night.

He said that last night’s atmosphere was peaceful and safe and more police officers were visible.

A volunteer told the protesters to decide for themselves whether to stay or leave.

Chief Executive Leung Chun-ying and Police Commissioner Tsang Wai-hung must be held responsible for Friday’s scuffles, the volunteer said.

Speaking on RTHK Sunday night, he said it was the first time he had experienced violence.

Mobs stormed the protesters’ tents, vandalized things and chased and beat them, he said.  

He said police saw the incident but simply stood aside.

Meanwhile, crowds have begun to thin out outside government headquarters. Barricades on Lung Wo Road have been removed and traffic is smooth, the report said.

– Contact us at [email protected]

JH/JP/RA

EJI Weekly Newsletter

Please click here to unsubscribe