Date
22 August 2017
A protester sleeps in his own bed in Nathan Road as other demonstrators continue their sit-in. Photo: RTHK
A protester sleeps in his own bed in Nathan Road as other demonstrators continue their sit-in. Photo: RTHK

Mong Kok declared high-risk area, protesters urged to leave

Hong Kong police may take action “at some point” to disperse protesters who have been occupying a key intersection in Mong Kok district, RTHK reported Tuesday.

Police have classified it as a high-risk area after Friday’s violent clashes between pro-democracy protesters and rival groups.

Police spokesman Hui Chun-tak warned of attacks “by groups of men” and urged the protesters to leave.

He said police will deploy officers in the area to maintain order and deal with trouble makers.

Also, Hui dismissed an online video purporting to show plainclothes officers in the crowd trying to provoke protesters.

“It’s a total nonsense. The police officers were performing their duties whether they were in uniform or not,” he said.

Meanwhile, merchants angrily denounced the demonstrators for driving customers away.

A group of small traders have set up a forum in a nearby park to express their complaints.

A food wholesaler, surnamed Wong, said traffic has been clogged since last week and has affected deliveries.

He said he has been under pressure from angry customers demanding delivery of their orders.

Wong described the protesters as “hijackers” by occupying the streets and demanded a quick solution to the crisis, the report said.

A restaurant operator, surnamed Zhang, said he has lost tens of thousands of dollar since the occupation began.

He said the protest has already made many business owners and commuters struggling and urged the government to start talks with the protesters as soon as possible.

[Go to Facebook]

– Contact us at [email protected]

JZ/JP/RA

Freelance journalist

EJI Weekly Newsletter

Please click here to unsubscribe