Hong Kong Chief Executive Leung Chun-ying said he never thought of quitting his job and there is no chance the demands of pro-democracy protesters would be met, Ming Pao Daily reported Monday.
The protest, now in its third week, has spun out of control, Leung told Hong Kong broadcaster TVB on Sunday.
He said the government had been put in a difficult situation, allowing the demonstrators to express their demands while preventing clashes between them and anti-protest citizens.
Leung defended police action on the protesters two weeks ago when 87 rounds of tear gas were fired, saying it was necessary to prevent more clashes.
The decision was a purely police matter and was decided by the commander on the ground with no political considerations.
However, he said he was involved in the decision to stop using tear gas.
Leung hit back at accusations the government allowed people to attack the protesters, calling them unfair.
The government’s focus is to improve communication with the demonstrators and maintain order but it will act if necessary with minimum force, he said.
Leung said the street occupation will not last given its adverse impact on ordinary citizens.
And any talks with the Hong Kong Federation of Students (HKFS), which is spearheading the protest, are impossible because of its inconsistent position, he said.
There is “zero chance” Beijing will rescind its decision on the election reform framework for the 2017 chief executive election.
HKFS secretary general Alex Chow said it is Leung who has been changing his mind by canceling planned talks. He accused the government of not wanting to resolve the situation peacefully.
The Hong Kong government was responsible for China’s decision on political reform and should make an effort to convince Beijing to hold a new round of public consultations, he said.
– Contact us at [email protected]