Date
20 September 2017
Protesters erect a wooden barrier in Mong Kok Monday morning. However, Argyle Street and Shanghai Street are now open to traffic. Photo: AFP
Protesters erect a wooden barrier in Mong Kok Monday morning. However, Argyle Street and Shanghai Street are now open to traffic. Photo: AFP

Tensions rise as police remove barricades

Tensions rose again on Monday as some protesters tried to hold occupied areas in Admiralty and Mong Kok after police removed roadblocks and crowd control barriers.

Protesters in Wan Chai district’s Arsenal street, urged their peers to use barricades to fight off the police clear-out, public broadcaster RTHK reported Monday.

The stand-off began after police removed roadblocks and crowd barriers in Admiralty and Mong Kok to ease weekday traffic after two weeks of congestion.

They urged the protesters to stand back, remove their own barricades and leave peacefully.

In Queen’s Road Central, protesters watched as officers wearing helmets dismantled barriers, the report said.

The road-clearing operation began at 5.30 a.m. ahead of the morning rush hour. By 8 a.m. the work had been completed.    

All lanes in Argyle Street and Shanghai Street in Mong Kok are open, including access to Argyle Street from Portland Street.

In Admiralty, Cotton Tree Drive and the City Hall area have been cleared, along with Arsenal Street, the report said.

Meanwhile, Occupy Central and student group Scholarism are backing the Hong Kong Federation of Students in calling for talks with the government regarding access to Civic Square in exchange for the reopening of Queensway.

– Contact us at [email protected]

AM/AC/RA

EJI Weekly Newsletter

Please click here to unsubscribe