Hong Kong police swooped down on Mong Kok at dawn Friday, clearing barricades and tents set up by pro-democracy protesters on the streets.
Traffic has been reopened in some parts of the shopping district previously occupied by the protesters after hundreds of police officers cleared the intersection of Nathan Road and Argyle Street, RTHK reported.
The youthful activists did not put up any resistance, and some of them moved their tents onto the sidewalks.
Police began their operation at around 5 a.m., when most of the protesters were taking a rest. Tents were torn down and removed.
The Transport Department said part of Argyle Street between Portland Street and Fa Yuen Street has been cleared.
Some demonstrators said they decided to retreat for the time being before deciding their next move, the report said. They said they wanted to avoid clashes with the police who outnumbered them.
Using loudspeakers, police officers told the protesters that they were not trying to clear the protesters but only wanted to remove barricades that posed danger to the public.
They said they would leave an area where the protesters could continue to stage their demonstration.
A senior police officer said they decided to move after receiving a number of complaints about criminal incidents in some of the occupied areas.
The protesters also ignored their earlier warning not to block portions of the streets reserved for emergency services, the officer said.
All MTR exits in the area are now open, the report said.
– Contact us at [email protected]