Islamist militants have released a new video claiming to show that it recovered weapons and supplies from United States military airdrops intended for Kurdish fighters who are locked in a fight with the militants over control of the Syrian border town of Kobani.
The SITE Intelligence Group, which tracks jihadist social media accounts, drew attention to the video Tuesday, according to the Washington Post.
At one point, it appears to show a masked militant raking his hands through a crate filled with hand grenades.
A US Central Command spokesman said he was looking into the reports.
In a news release Monday, US military officials acknowledged launching one airstrike near Kobani that they said destroyed “a US airdrop of Kurdish supplies” to prevent “these supplies from falling into enemy hands”.
“All other resupply bundles were successfully delivered,” the news release said, without specifying what was in the shipment.
Pentagon Press Secretary Rear Adm. John Kirby said that analysts were working to determine what happened.
On Tuesday, the US military announced another four airstrikes near Kobani, saying it hit jihadist fighting positions, a building occupied by the militants, and “a large ISIL unit”, using one of the acronyms for the group.
The US has launched dozens of airstrikes around Kobani in the last week as the militants besiege the town.
– Contact us at [email protected]