Russian President Vladimir Putin held talks with the nation’s top security chiefs on Thursday over what Moscow said was a deterioration of the situation in eastern Ukraine, Reuters reported.
The talks came after pro-Russian rebels in the region accused Kiev of launching a new offensive in violation of a ceasefire.
Russian media quoted Andrei Purgin, deputy prime minister of the self-proclaimed Donetsk People’s Republic, as saying that the Ukrainian army had launched “all-out war” on rebel positions.
Ukrainian military spokesman Vladyslav Seleznyov denied this, saying the army remained in agreed positions after a Sept. 5 truce.
“We refute these allegations…we’re strictly fulfilling the Minsk memorandum (on a ceasefire),” he told Reuters.
The Kremlin said the presidential Security Council discussed among other things a “deterioration of the situation in the Donbass due to repeated violations of the ceasefire by the armed forces of Ukraine.”
It did not say what decisions, if any, had been reached at the meeting.
– Contact us at [email protected]