22 August 2019
Kenneth Bae steps off the plane and is greeted by family members at the US Air Force base in Fort Lewis, Washington, on Saturday. Photo: Reuters
Kenneth Bae steps off the plane and is greeted by family members at the US Air Force base in Fort Lewis, Washington, on Saturday. Photo: Reuters

Two Americans freed by North Korea return to US

Two Americans, who had been doing hard labor for months in North Korea, returned to the United States on Saturday after a top-ranking US intelligence official traveled to Pyongyang to bring them home.

Kenneth Bae and Matthew Todd Miller were released just hours before US President Barack Obama was to start a trip to Asia that will include talks with Chinese leaders about how Beijing can use its influence with North Korea to rein in its nuclear weapons program, Reuters reported.

The two were accompanied on their journey home by Director of National Intelligence James Clapper. Their release comes less than three weeks after another American was freed by Pyongyang.

A smiling Bae exited the aircraft and in an emotional reunion on the tarmac greeted his mother, sister, brother-in-law and two young nieces. Miller followed minutes later and also hugged family members. Both men had close-cropped hair.

Bae, 46, a Korean-American missionary from Lynnwood north of Seattle, was arrested in North Korea in November 2012 and sentenced to 15 years’ hard labor for crimes against the state. Miller, in his mid-20s, was reportedly convicted on an espionage charge and in custody since April, serving a six-year hard labor sentence.

When asked about his health, Bae said he was still recovering. His family had expressed concern about his wellbeing during his detention, saying he had diabetes, an enlarged heart, deteriorating vision and back and leg pains. Miller did not speak to reporters.

Washington had frequently called for the men to be freed for humanitarian reasons, especially given Bae’s health problems, the report said.

CNN reported the North Korean government issued a statement about the release, saying it received an “earnest apology” from Obama for the men’s actions. It also said the two were “sincerely repentant of their crimes and [were] behaving themselves while serving their terms”.

According to the statement, the first chairman of North Korea’s National Defense Commission, the country’s leader, Kim Jong Un, ordered the release.

North Korea, already under international sanctions for its nuclear and missile programs, has been on a diplomatic campaign to counter charges by a UN body that highlighted widespread human rights abuses and a move by some UN members to refer the state to an international tribunal. But it was not clear what prompted Pyongyang to free the two men at this time, Reuters said.

Their release did not constitute an opening in relations with North Korea, said a senior State Department official, who declined to be identified. The official said for that to happen, Pyongyang must fulfill its commitments on denuclearization and human rights.

“He [Clapper] was not there to negotiate. And our position hasn’t changed.”

“It’s a wonderful day for them and their families,” Obama said at the White House. “Obviously we are very grateful for their safe return and I appreciate Director Clapper doing a great job on what was obviously a challenging mission.”

A senior US official said: “[Clapper] did carry a brief message from the President indicating that Director Clapper was his personal envoy to bring the two Americans home.”

As director of national intelligence, a job created after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on the United States, Clapper oversees the Central Intelligence Agency and some 15 other intelligence agencies, making his trip to Pyongyang surprising. US officials said it was the first time a national intelligence director had been involved in such a high-profile diplomatic matter.

Arrangements for the release had come together in the past several days and North Korea had asked for a high-ranking envoy to be involved, the official said.

Clapper did not personally meet Kim Jong-un, but met with a number of North Korean security officials during the roughly one day he was in the country, a senior US official said.

The men’s release came just a few weeks after North Korea freed another American, Jeffrey Fowle, 56 — a street repair worker from Miamisburg, Ohio, who had been arrested in May for leaving a Bible in a sailor’s club in the North Korean city of Chongjin, where he was traveling as a tourist.

Victor Cha, of the Center for Strategic and International Studies, said the release could indicate North Korea wants to press Obama on the eve of his Asian trip and that Pyongyang is feeling international heat from the UN resolution.

“This is worrying to them,” Cha said. “They have never seen anything like this before. Moreover, it is not coming from the US but from the entire international community. They are trying to blunt criticism and perhaps water down the resolution with these actions.”

– Contact us at [email protected]


EJI Weekly Newsletter

Please click here to unsubscribe