Acting Chief Executive Carrie Lam has ruled out further talks with student protest leaders, saying they have hardened their position.
Lam said the government showed good faith in putting forward two proposals during last month’s short-lived talks but the students did not respond with the same level of sincerity, Ming Pao Daily reported Tuesday.
“There is no more room for dialogue,” Lam said.
She said the central government “has well understood” the students’ demands and that it’s “unnecessary to keep repeating them”.
If the students have any new ideas about the second round of public consultations on Beijing’s proposed election framework for the 2017 chief executive election, they should come forward to the Hong Kong government, she said.
In response, the Hong Kong Federation of Students said it has no plans to hold further talks with the government at this stage.
The students are demanding the withdrawal of the election reform proposal and new consultations on a nominating committee.
Under the Beijing framework, candidates for Hong Kong chief executive will be screened by panel and they must have the support of at least half of its members in order to qualify.
Lam and Secretary for Justice Rimsky Yuen will meet pro-establishment lawmakers to prepare for a second round of public consultations on the election proposal.
She said the meeting will discuss a date for the exercise and seek consensus on expanding democracy.
Lam expects the consultations to start as early as this month and no later than early December, the report said.
– Contact us at [email protected]