Hong Kong’s Consumer Council has warned that many USB power chargers being sold in the city have safety issues that could cause short circuits.
The Consumer Council tested 20 chargers that were priced between HK$50 and HK$324. More than half of the products were found to be “unsatisfactory” in term of insulation strength, circuits and distance across the transformer input and output terminals, RTHK reported.
Michael Hui, chairman of the Council’s Publicity and Community Relations Committee, was quoted as saying that in some cases, short circuits could lead to fires.
Two unbranded models were the worst performers among the 20 chargers the consumer watchdog tested. And, six chargers of a brand failed to provide a safety certificate. The Council has requested the suppliers to suspend the products.
Meanwhile, six brands — Apple, Samsung, Sony, Xiaomi, LG and HTC — passed all the tests.
The Council urged consumers to cut off the power if they find abnormality when using a USB charger.
– Contact us at [email protected]