A Hong Kong TV journalist who was expelled from the APEC summit in Jakarta last year after confronting Philippine President Benigno Aquino III, has been refused entry to Manila.
Eric Lee Kwok-keung, a cameraman for Now TV, was barred by immigration authorities at Manila airport but his three companions were allowed in, Now TV reported Friday.
The group had planned a driving tour of the country.
Lee was was one of nine people on a Manila immigration blacklist handed to him by an airline staff on his flight back to Hong Kong.
The list included six reporters and engineering staff from Now TV, a reporter from RHTK and two reporters from Commercial Radio, all of whom were involved in the Jakarta incident.
The document also bars them from the APEC summit in Manila next year.
In separate statements, the three news organizations said they “deeply regret” the “unreasonable” action by the Philippine authorities.
They said they will seek help from Chief Executive Leung Chun-ying and the Chinese government to have the ban lifted.
Lee had his press card confiscated at the Indonesia meeting of world leaders after he pressed Aquino in a corridor over the 2010 hostage tragedy in Manila in which 19 Hong Kong tourists and their guide were killed.
Reporters from RTHK and Commercial Radio who also questioned Aquino in the same incident were thrown out of the summit. Organizers said they broke protocol.
The action drew fierce criticism from the three media companies and the Hong Kong Journalists Associaition.
[Go to Facebook]
– Contact us at [email protected]