Date
24 September 2017
Osman Cheng (third from left), says he was attacked by policemen while walking in Mong Kok. Another passerby said he suffered bone fracture from a baton attack. Photo: Facebook
Osman Cheng (third from left), says he was attacked by policemen while walking in Mong Kok. Another passerby said he suffered bone fracture from a baton attack. Photo: Facebook

Artists march on police over claims of brutality

A group of artists calling themselves Hong Kong Shield marched on police headquarters Sunday to protest alleged brutality by officers during a street clearing operation.

The group accompanied dozens of ordinary citizens who said they had been attacked by riot police during a chaotic clearance of a protest site in Mong Kok last week, Ming Pao Daily reported Monday.

They stood outside police headquarters in Wan Chai, demanding redress of their grievances. Some entered the building to hand in a petition.

Hong Kong Shield comprises 50 artists, musicians, filmmakers, professors and some celebrities who support the pro-democracy protests and monitor police conduct.

Some of the marchers accused the police of battery, resulting in serious injuries, the report said.

Film director Shu Kei, the group’s convenor, said many victims of police brutality are afraid to come forward.

Shu said the group is planning to ask the United Nations to condemn the police action. Also, he said he might attend a UN hearing on the democracy protests.

Singer Denise Ho urged victims of police brutality to speak out and exercise their right seek redress.

Police spokesman Kong Man-keung said all complaints will be investigated using “all available evidence”.

– Contact us at [email protected]

TL/AC/RA

EJI Weekly Newsletter

Please click here to unsubscribe