Fernando Chui Sai-on, who was elected for a second term as Macau’s chief executive at the end of August, has unveiled his new cabinet 19 days before his inauguration, Apple Daily reported Tuesday.
During his first term, Chui announced the list of his cabinet 27 days before his installation into office, the report said.
The lineup offered little surprise, as it confirmed what media had been reporting since last month, although some popular names were not on the list.
The central government is said to be unhappy with the leaks on the cabinet list, and decided not to accept all the candidates recommended by Chui, which resulted in the delay in the announcement, the newspaper said, citing observers.
However, Chui refuted such speculation, noting that the nomination was based on procedures under the Basic Law and “the process went smoothly”.
Chan Hoi-fan, coordinator of the Office for Personal Data Protection, was appointed secretary of administration and justice. Observers said his appointment was a reward for helping the administration clamp down on a move by pro-democracy groups to launch a referendum on universal suffrage in August.
Procurator-General Ho Chio-meng, who enjoys wide public support, was not on the list. He said he should retire after 15 years of service. However, president of the Court of Final Appeal Sam Hou-fai, who has also served for 15 years, was reappointed.
Ho was once a prospective candidate for chief executive.
– Contact us at [email protected]