Nearly a dozen pro-democracy protesters are planning a class-action lawsuit against the Hong Kong police for alleged brutality, Apple Daily reported Friday.
They are accusing the police of using excessive force during clashes on Sunday night outside government headquarters.
Samuel Lai, a 19-year-old sophomore at the University of Hong Kong, said an officer struck him with a baton twice in the head after his helmet had been knocked out as he tried to help a female protester who was being pushed by a policeman.
He said he was taken away bleeding to a police station where his plea for help with his injuries was ignored and was not brought to a hospital until hours later.
Lai described his treatment as that of a terrorist and said he felt close to being shot by the police, the report said.
A 17-year-old female protester said she suffered bruises on the thigh after being beaten with a truncheon.
She said she was dragged by a policeman and her head pushed to the ground, leaving her face with multiple scratches.
Many of the victims said they were treated harshly after being taken to the police station where they were kept in a cold room with electric fans on.
They had no blankets but were given plastic bags to keep themselves warm, she said.
Another protester, surnamed Suen, said he was strip-searched by three policemen in a holding room.
Others said they were prevented from using the restroom and deprived of sleep for 30 hours.
They urged anyone who has suffered hash police tactics to come forward and join the class action.
– Contact us at [email protected]