Police on Wednesday arrested two men as part of counter-terrorism operations in Sydney.
One was charged with possession of documents designed to facilitate a terrorist attack while the other was charged with breaching a control order, the Guardian reported.
The arrests came after Australia’s Prime Minister Tony Abbott warned that there had been heightened “terror chatter” since a lone gunman took 17 people hostage inside a cafe in central Sydney last week.
“We don’t know when and how an attack may come, but we do know there are people with the intent and the capability to carry out further attacks,” Abbott was quoted as saying.
The documents seized from one of the suspects mentioned potential government targets, according to the newspaper.
“I am confident that we’ve disrupted the activity that they were planning,” Australian Federal Police Deputy Commissioner Michael Phelan was quoted as saying.
But he said the documents did not mention “any specific targets or time frame in relation to this particular activity at all”.
The arrests were related to counter-terrorism raids in September. After the raids, police said they had foiled a plot to “commit violent acts” in Australia, including a plan to behead a member of the public.
Phelan said police were targeting a group whose members were accused of helping people travel overseas to fight with the Islamic State militants.
In last week’s siege, Man Haron Monis, a self-styled Muslim cleric originally from Iran, held 17 people hostage for 16 hours before he was killed along with two of his hostages.
– Contact us at [email protected]