Moviegoers will see Kim Jong-un obliterated on screen after all.
The assassination comedy centered on the young North Korean dictator will go on limited release in independent theaters in the United States on Thursday, according to BBC News.
The decision by Sony Pictures to screen The Interview followed a public backlash over the cancellation of a scheduled Christmas Day showing after threats from North Korean hackers.
Sony chairman Michael Lynton said he is “excited” that the movie will now be seen.
Two cinemas in Atlanta and Austin have announced screenings.
They said via social media that Sony Pictures had authorised them to show the film, which has been at the centre of escalating tensions between the US and North Korea.
The White House welcomed the development, with a spokesman saying that President Barack Obama applauded Sony’s decision and that the US was a country that “believes in free speech”.
Seth Rogen, who directed and starred in the film, tweeted: “The people have spoken! Freedom has prevailed! Sony didn’t give up!”
Sony had previously announced that the film’s release would be pulled completely, following a hacking attack on the company and threats against cinema chains that planned to screen the film.
That decision drew criticism in Hollywood, with some calling it an attack on the freedom of expression.
Obama had also called Sony’s initial decision to pull the film “a mistake”.
North Korea says the film hurts the “dignity of its supreme leadership”.
Major movie chains in the US are thought unlikely to take part in the release at this stage but Lynton said efforts are continuing to “secure more platforms and more theatres so this movie can reach the largest possible audience”.
– Contact us at [email protected]