The government will kick off the second phase of the public consultation on political reform as soon as Wednesday, Sing Tao Daily reported Monday.
First, the newspaper said, the government would submit a report on events in Hong Kong in recent months to the Hong Kong and Macau Affairs Office on Tuesday.
Citing sources, it said the second consultation will basically stick to the nomination mechanism proposed by the National People’s Congress Standing Committee (NPCSC) last year for the 2017 election for chief executive.
There will be no amendments to the composition of the nomination committee, it said.
The consultation paper will recommend that any candidate can be nominated for chief executive after securing one-eighth of the nomination committee’s votes, the report said.
A ceiling will be introduced for the number of nominations, so as to increase competition among candidates during the nomination stage.
A candidate will still need votes from at least half the committee’s members to be eligible to run for the top job, it said.
The consultation will table three specific nomination proposals for public discussion, the sources told the newspaper.
Committee members may either be required to nominate exactly three candidates each; or nominate between one and three candidates at their discretion; or vote individually for each candidate for nomination.
Meanwhile, the government’s report of recent events in Hong Kong will cover all that happened between Aug. 31, 2014, when the NPCSC announced the electoral arrangements for the 2017 election, and Dec. 15, when the last Occupy protest site, in Causeway Bay, was cleared.
Government sources were cited by the newspaper as saying that the report is purely an objective description that is neutral in its stance, with no opinions and conclusions attached.
– Contact us at [email protected]