Danish police said on Sunday that they shot and killed a man who is believed to have carried out attacks that left two people dead over the weekend in Copenhagen.
The police identified the suspect as a 22-year-old native of Denmark who was already known to security services as a gang member with a violent criminal record, the New York Times reported.
The dual attacks in Copenhagen had a copycat resemblance to last month’s attacks in Paris, in which gunmen killed cartoonists at the Charlie Hebdo newspaper and followed with gunshots aimed at a Jewish target, the report noted.
The first attack took place on Saturday, when a gunman sprayed bullets into the cafe where a Swedish cartoonist who had caricatured the Prophet Muhammad was speaking. That attack killed one man.
Hours later, early Sunday, a man was shot and killed outside the city’s main synagogue.
“Denmark has been hit by terror,” Danish Prime Minister Helle Thorning-Schmidt said on Sunday.
“We do not know the motive for the alleged perpetrator’s actions, but we know that there are forces that want to hurt Denmark. They want to rebuke our freedom of speech,” she said.
– Contact us at [email protected]