At least 26 people are dead after suicide bombers struck two bus stations in northern Nigeria.
President Goodluck Jonathan blamed Boko Haram, an Islamist militant group, and vowed to defeat it.
In the first attack Tuesday, a suicide bomber rushed onto a bus in the northeastern town of Potiskum before setting off a blast that killed 16 people, Reuters reported, citing security and hospital sources.
A police spokesman said the bomber was a man but some witnesses had mistakenly blamed a teenage girl who was in fact one of the victims.
On Sunday, a girl with explosives strapped to her body killed five people outside a market in the same town.
In Tuesday’s second attack, two suicide bombers in a car attacked a major bus station in the north’s main city of Kano, killing at least 10 people, police spokesman Ibrahim Idris said.
A Reuters witness saw the twisted, burnt wreckage of four vehicles and the charred remains of at least two bodies.
“I saw the vehicle drive up to that point and just a few minutes later there was a loud blast,” said witness Bello Gearam. “Some people were burning, others running.”
President Jonathan blamed Boko Haram, whose struggle for an Islamic state in religiously mixed Nigeria has killed thousands of people and displaced more than a million.
Boko Haram has been using suicide bombers since last year as the group expanded territory and became stronger and deadlier.
But in the past three weeks, it has suffered a string of defeats in a military offensive by Nigeria and neighbors Cameroon, Niger and Chad, all of which have been destabilized by the Islamists.
– Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org