A Hong Kong woman and her young daughter have been taken ill after drinking fruit juice laced with alcohol.
They were brought to a hospital with sore throats and a burning sensation in their mouths but were discharged within hours of each other the next day, Ming Pao Daily reported Thursday.
The incident happened on Feb. 19 when the 47-year-old mother and her nine-year-old daughter drank a Ribena fruit drink from a hawker stall in Central.
They said the drink tasted of alcohol and they began to feel a burning sensation in their mouths and throats.
On Wednesday, health authorities announced they are investigating the incident with the police and the food and environmental watchdog.
Toxicology tests by the Hospital Authority showed the juice did contain alcohol.
Choi Kin, former president of the Hong Kong Medical Association, said the burning throat sensation reported by the victims suggested high levels of alcohol in the drink.
However, such amounts are usually not lethal, especially if not absorbed into the digestive tract, he said.
A call by Ming Pao to the maker of Ribena was not answered.
Lawmaker Wong Pik-wan said such incidents are not acceptable and urged the government to inspect similar products for possible contamination.
She called on consumers to pay attention to any product they buy.
– Contact us at [email protected]