North Korea has reopened its doors to foreign tourists, ending a travel ban it imposed four months ago to guard against the spread of the deadly Ebola virus, Wall Street Journal reported, citing tour operators.
Pyongyang no longer sees the virus as a threat and its trips will resume in coming days, according to Young Pioneer Tours, a China-based travel agency that specializes in North Korea tours. Other tour operators said the ban was lifted as of Monday.
North Korea closed its borders to foreign tourists on Oct. 24, and strictly enforced a 21-day quarantine period on anyone entering the country, including foreign diplomats and businessmen, Agence France-Presse reported.
The quarantine measures had been lifted as of Tuesday, with the exception of visitors from West Africa, according to China’s official Xinhua News Agency.
No Ebola infections have been reported in East Asia, including the Korean Peninsula, WSJ said. North Korean state media has accused the United States of developing the virus as a biological weapon.
– Contact us at [email protected]