Date
22 November 2017
Catherine Gang, whose husband Li Zhi was onboard the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370, holds a sign during a gathering outside the Malaysian embassy in Beijing on March 8. Photo: Reuters
Catherine Gang, whose husband Li Zhi was onboard the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370, holds a sign during a gathering outside the Malaysian embassy in Beijing on March 8. Photo: Reuters

One year on, new report offers no fresh leads on MH370

A new official report into Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 has offered no fresh leads into what caused the plane’s disappearance one year ago.

The report from international investigators provided details on how radars had tracked the Boeing 777 going off course, but did not identify a definitive cause for the aircraft’s disappearance, Reuters reported Sunday.

The 584-page report, which came on the anniversary of the disaster, said there was nothing suspicious in the financial, medical or personal histories of pilots or crew.

MH370 vanished from radar after taking off from Kuala Lumpur on March 8, 2014, with 239 people on board. 

The disappearance of the aircraft, which was bound for Beijing, has become one of the greatest mysteries in aviation history.

Investigators believe the plane was flown thousands of miles off course before eventually crashing into the ocean off Australia.

Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak, meanwhile, said on Sunday that the government remained committed to the search for the missing jetliner.

“The disappearance of MH370 is without precedent, and so too is the search – by far the most complex and technically challenging in aviation history,” Najib was quoted as saying in a statement.

“Together with our international partners, we have followed the little evidence that exists. Malaysia remains committed to the search, and hopeful that MH370 will be found,” he said.

A search for the missing jetliner along the sea floor some 1,600 km west of the Australian city of Perth has found nothing so far. 

An Australian official said recently the search could not go on forever, and discussions were under way between Australia, China and Malaysia as to whether to call off it off soon.

Malaysia declared the disappearance of the flight an accident in January, clearing the way for the airline to pay compensation to victims’ relatives.

– Contact us at [email protected]

RC

EJI Weekly Newsletter

Please click here to unsubscribe