Date
19 November 2017
MTR passengers cover their noses as heavy smoke spreads inside the cabin. The incident was caused by a ZTE smartphone (inset) that caught fire. Photo: Apple Daily
MTR passengers cover their noses as heavy smoke spreads inside the cabin. The incident was caused by a ZTE smartphone (inset) that caught fire. Photo: Apple Daily

Burning smartphone sparks MTR panic

A mobile phone caught fire and caused heavy smoke inside an MTR train on Sunday, throwing passengers into a panic.

There were no reports of serious injuries but a woman passed out in the ensuing chaos, Apple Daily reported Monday.

The incident occurred on an MTR train to Tseung Kwan O when the ZTE handset caught fire as its owner was trying to reboot it, the report said, citing the police.

He threw the phone on the floor and tried to stamp out the fire but the smoke had filled the cabin, causing passengers to rush for the doors.

A 53-year-old woman, surnamed Mak, was knocked out after she hit a metal pole during the commotion.

She was carried into the platform by fellow passengers when the train made an emergency stop in North Point.  

Investigators found the burned-out shells of the ZTE Q509 handset manufactured by Chinese phone maker ZTE Corp.

A 40-year-old man, surnamed Yuen, said he bought the handset in Jiangmen city in Guangdong province for 500 yuan (US$80.45). 

Police said the phone likely overheated.

– Contact us at [email protected]

TL/AC/RA

Burning smartphone sparks panic on subway train

EU watchdog: Cuddle a Chinese rabbit at your own risk

Some fake Cognac made in China toilet was bound for Hong Kong

Can’t wait for Apple watch? Try China but don’t ask

Chinese tourists’ precious purchases in Japan made in China

EJI Weekly Newsletter

Please click here to unsubscribe