Date
30 May 2017
A file photo of some rescued African migrants as they attempted to cross the Mediterranean on the way to Europe. More than 500 people are said to have died so far this year in making the perilous sea voyage. Credit: cnn.com
A file photo of some rescued African migrants as they attempted to cross the Mediterranean on the way to Europe. More than 500 people are said to have died so far this year in making the perilous sea voyage. Credit: cnn.com

About 400 migrants feared dead in shipwreck off Libya

About 400 migrants are believed to have died as their boat capsized after leaving the Libyan coast on the way to Italy, Reuters reported Tuesday, citing survivors of the latest tragedy in the Mediterranean Sea.

The boat, carrying about 550 migrants in total, flipped about 24 hours after leaving Libya, according to some of the 150 survivors who were rescued and brought to a southern Italian port on Tuesday morning, it said.

The survivors of the latest shipwreck were mostly sub-Saharan Africans, a spokesman for charity organization Save the Children told Reuters. 

Before this incident there had already been more than 500 deaths of migrants crossing the Mediterranean from Africa this year, up sharply from 47 in the same period last year, according to the report.

On Monday, 2,851 migrants were saved in rescue operations in the Mediterranean, the Italian coastguard said, adding to at least nine who died and 5,629 who were saved over the weekend.

– Contact us at [email protected]

CG/RC

EJI Weekly Newsletter

Please click here to unsubscribe