Colombia has lifted the suspension of its bombing campaign against FARC rebels after at least 10 soldiers were killed in a clash with the left-wing guerilla group.
The military launched a strike against what they call “a strategic FARC rebel position” later on Wednesday, BBC News reported, citing a military source.
The Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, or FARC, have been in peace negotiations with the government for more than two years, Reuters said.
The group declared a ceasefire in December, and last week President Juan Manuel Santos extended a halt to bombing raids in recognition of their compliance.
“I have ordered the armed forces to lift the suspension of air strikes on FARC positions until further notice,” Santos said on Wednesday.
At least 17 soldiers were also injured, four of them seriously, in the attack in the western province of Cauca, a FARC stronghold, according to the BBC.
– Contact us at [email protected]